Whether it’s an important conversation that you need to have, a goal you want to achieve or a change you want to make in life or work, what if you knew a way to increase the likelihood of you achieving success with it?
Taken from the principles of NLP (an applied psychology which studies excellence and communications) here are the simple steps to follow that will significantly enhance your chances of having any result that you are after.
1. Know Your Outcome. At its highest level what are you trying to achieve here? What do you want to have happen? If you’re clear on what your outcome is, and you focus on it, you are far more likely to achieve it.
For example, ask yourself “what am I trying to achieve by having this conversation?” rather than “what do I want to say?”. Keep reminding yourself of your desired outcome throughout the conversation instead of getting hung up on the steps towards it and you’re less likely to get derailed.
Too many people start conversations or moving towards something without actually being clear on what the end goal is or what good “looks like” for them. If you don’t know what you’re aiming for, how will you get there?
2. Take Action. This one’s what it says on the tin. You need to actually do something in order for things to change or to achieve your outcome. Often we spend time analysing, worrying, planning to death or “putting it out to the universe” without actually doing anything to get us towards our end-goal. Results require action.
For example - If you’re unhappy in your job, rather than complaining about the one you’re in or using the Law of Attraction to try to manifest the shit out of someone just gifting you a new one, get clear on what you want instead and then take some action - put together a CV, start meeting some people in your desired industry, volunteer, get some experience, work with a career coach, do a course that will help you etc etc. Do something.
3. Pay Attention. Notice what’s happening as you proceed towards your goal. What responses are you getting? What changes are you experiencing? How are you feeling? How are others responding? Be aware of what is going on.
For example - if your goal is to increase your social circle but you’re finding that you’re losing touch with your existing friends as a result of spending time with new ones, is this really working for you?
4. Have Behavioural Flexibility. Having paid attention you then need to ask - is this working? Be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve success. If what you’re doing, the way you’re doing it, isn’t working then what do you need to do instead? How else might you achieve the outcome you’re striving towards.
For example, if your outcome is to get someone to do something different and they’re not responding no matter how many times you ask them, how might you ask them differently or what do you need to do differently so that they will?
Einstein famously said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result. How can you adapt in order to achieve your outcome?
5. Operate From a State of Excellence. Make sure you’re looking after yourself physically and psychologically so that you’re in the best possible state to achieve success. Prioritise sleep and rest, eat nutritionally balanced meals, make sure you’re doing things that get you in the right headspace and physically strong and well.
Beware the trap of thinking that working longer and harder leads to success, yes it will to a point of course, but overdo it and you will only end up crashing and distancing yourself further from what you’re trying to achieve.